More 5-Minute Self Care Treats to Enjoy On the Go
1. Practice eyes-closed waking rest. Close your eyes. Seriously. Lock your car doors, office door, close your bedroom door, or whatever door is between you and the world, set a timer, and close your eyes. Shut out the visual noise that can be over stimulating, especially from technology, and allow your brain to receive a wakeful rest.
Quick anecdotal story: I frequently feel tired from visual stimulation. My eyes feel strained and my brain feels overwhelmed and I know it's from visual stimulation. The heaviness can become unbearable and that's when I close my eyes for 5-15 minutes. Following, I feel like I've had a 2 hour nap. I had no idea that it was actually a thing until recently reading there have been studies on the power of eyes-closed waking rest.
2. Ease weary bodies with a Peppermint Body Balm. Not only will your skin feel deeply hydrated, naturally stimulating and soothing peppermint will help refresh and invigorate calves and thighs that have worked hard to keep you going all day long. The scent will also help awaken your senses.
3. Give yourself a quick scalp massage with a gorgeous Jade Comb. Compact in size and portable for on the go self-care, this jade comb was designed to stimulate your scalp and relieve tension. Practice slow gentle strokes, from hairline to crown, all the way around your head, from temple, to forehead, to temple, and to nape. Stokes along the back of your neck will further decrease tension.
4. Enjoy a touch of colour therapy with a pop of colour and surge of moisture from these Lip Colour Serums. Though it's not exactly the practice of chromotherapy, there is definitely a positive effect that can be experienced while enjoying a good lip colour (even if it has to hide under your mask in between locales).
5. Keep your energy levels up the gentle way with a cuppa antioxidant-rich green tea. Take your green tea to the next level with these Pomegranante Goji sachets; a refreshing blend that can be enjoyed hot or iced.
6. Spritz your face with your favourite toner for a touch of soothing refreshment. An especially pleasant treat if you're finding yourself suddenly running warm or are feeling overwhelmed. Skin Essence Organics recently launched some perfectly lovely toning facial mists that are the ideal size for on the go. For those with normal to oily skin, try their Refreshing & Toning Facial Mist. Suitable for all skin types, or those that are feeling particularly strained, reach for their Calming & Toning Facial Mist.
7. Nourish your body and don't skip meals. You need this fuel to propel you through your day of on the go. I highly recommend making a smoothie and amplifying it with a Blume Blend. So far I've successfully experimented with their Turmeric Blend and am currently eyeing their Reishi Hot Cacao Blend. They are delicious when mixed with your favourite milk-type product, but are also fabulous in oatmeal and smoothies.
8. Help calm your mind when you're feeling the pinch of time, stuck in traffic, or in a very long line, with a Meditation Necklace. Each necklace features a pretty bead in either purple, pink, blue, or white that you can gently spin and rotate between your fingers. Of course you can use them to focus your mind during a meditation practice, but in times like these view them as elegant adult fidget spinners.
9. Sometimes self-care means protecting your skin. As you tackle your to-do list you may not realize how much sun exposure you are taking in while driving and walking. Carry this Refreshing Water Mist in SPF 18 for quick on the go protection, especially convenient for applying to your face, arms, and hands.
10. Practice Niksen, the Dutch art of doing nothing. Your brain will thank you.
Melissa Menard is a certified aesthetician with over a decade of experience in the beauty industry. She enjoys all things French lifestyle, flowers, and a good lipstick (despite the mask mandate).