10 5-Minute Self Care Treats to Enjoy On the Go
Self-care is super important and a non-negotiable. Self-care is not selfish. It is the act of refilling your proverbial cup, restoring your personal resources so you feel recharged and present. Self-care can look like an action such as physical activity, a ritual like meditation or your skin care routine, or even Niksen - the Dutch art of doing nothing.
Aside from Niksen, most self-care activities require time and let's face it, life gets busy. Sometimes you literally have five minutes to hit the reset button, which may not seem like a lot but can be precisely what you need for your day to flow in a positive direction. Here's a list of ten 5-minute (or less) self-care treats to enjoy when you're on the go:
1. Journal with The Five Minute Journal by Intelligent Change. These guided journals come in a variety of colours and is an all-time personal favourite that saw me through some dark days.
2. Listen to Chillhop. ShopEco owner, Debra, and I happened to discover Chillhop around the same time and we both really enjoy it. Chillhop is a unique genre of music that is like a soothing escape from the everyday. Here's a fresh playlist I'm currently listening to.
3. Moisturize with this velvety-textured hand cream. Its French Lavender scent is very aromtherapeutic, helping knock your stress level down a few pegs.
4. Get moving with my personal fitness guru Zehra from The FitNest. She doesn't know it but her programs have changed my life. Looking to start the day with some slow flow? Try Zehra's morning stretch routine. Want to kick it up a notch? Her 5 Min Core Workout is for you. All you need is a mat.
5. Literally fill your cup using a beautiful Swig 32oz tumbler. Drinking water will prevent you from dehydration that can leave you with some serious brain fog. Aside from keeping beverages cold for 24 hours or hot for 12 hours, they are dishwasher safe making them perfect for when time is of the essence.
6. Aromatherapy on the go done three different ways: if you're driving, a Wooden Car Vent Diffuser is an aesthetic way to calm your senses; if you're taking public transportation, a Keychain Aromatherapy Diffuser is perfectly discreet and pairs nicely with Cafe Latte essential oil blend to give you a jolt without disturbing your bus mates; if you're walking a Wood + Lava Stone Diffuser Bracelet is the perfect way to carry your scent with you. Remember to take a few moments to simply breathe.
7. Hit the reset button and refresh your skin with The Vitamin Cleanse wipes. Gently formulated, even for those with sensitive skin, these cloths smell super fresh and are compostable. The individual packets are handy for on the go refreshment or kept bedside for those nights when you're practically stumbling into bed.
8. Sneak in a luxurious Lip Scrubbing Mask for softer, smoother lips. Slip a soothing layer across your lips and allow to sit for five minutes. Use your finger to gently scrub and massage, and these handy reusable wipes to remove. So simple and easy you could do this in the time it takes to drive to the grocery store.
9. Treat yourself to a gorgeous fragrance. Solid Perfumes are low-fuss and perfect for slipping into your purse, gym bag, or briefcase. Applying fragrance is a lovely way to mark a transition in your day, especially if you are meeting up with someone during your day on the go. Looking for a new scent? Try Routine's Superstar Solid Perfume. It's a complex sweet and spicy co-ed scent.
10. A ShopEco team favourite, The Little Book of Hygge is a most enjoyable read that you can easily pick up and put down as your day progresses. Not only will you be giving yourself a 5-minute retreat, you'll learn some tips on how to treat yourself in the future.
Melissa Menard is a certified aesthetician with over a decade of experience in the beauty industry. She enjoys all things French lifestyle, flowers, and a good lipstick (despite the mask mandate).