by Melissa Menard
When new goodies arrive at ShopEco, the good word must be spread! One of my new favourites is the Essential Oxygen line of Hydrogen Peroxide products. You may be raising your eyebrows at me when I use the words ‘favourite’ and ‘hydrogen peroxide’ in the same sentence, but I’m telling you – these products are awesome! The more I learn about how to use hydrogen peroxide, or HP for short, the more I realize I cannot live without it. Read on to see why HP is about to become your next household MVP.
1. Around the Kitchen & Food Prep – Keep a bottle of both the pour top and spray versions of Essential Oxygen HP in your kitchen for quick cleaning solutions. Use the spray version to disinfect countertops, knobs and handles, fridge surfaces, and, most importantly, cutting boards. Allow the HP to air-dry. An added bonus of using HP on cutting boards is that it will help eliminate odours caused by bacteria and mildew. Use the pour top version for cleaning and soaking fresh foods. Essential Oxygen recommends:
– Veggies – Add 3 oz to sink or bowl of water and soak for 1-20 min.
– Sprouts – Add 1 oz to sprout soaking or rinsing water.
– Nuts/Grains – Add 2 oz to water and soak for 1-24 hours to clean.
– Meat/Fish – Add 1 oz to water and soak for 1-5 min.
2. Laundry – Pop Quiz: What keeps whites bright, lifts dinge, and removes stains? Hydrogen Peroxide! HP is an environmentally friendly alternative to bleach and proves quite versatile in the laundry room. Definitely use to brighten your whites, but proceed with caution on your coloured fabrics. Colour-stable textiles should be okay, but a quick test for colourfastness on an inconspicuous spot, such as a hemline or seam, is ideal. As long as the colour proves sturdy, using HP is a great way to fight dinge that can dull the vibrancy of your coloured clothing and linen. HP works wonders on stains, including blood and red wine. Here’s the breakdown on how to use HP in the washing machine:
– Essential Oxygen suggests using 3 oz with every load of laundry. Add to your bleach dispenser.
– Remove stains two ways. Method #1: Spray HP directly onto stains and allow it to stand for one minute before rinsing under cold water. Method #2: Make a paste with 2 parts Essential Oxygen HP and 1 part Earthwise Dish Soap and work into the stain before rinsing.
– Whiten laundry and remove odours by adding 1 cup of HP to a pre-soak laundry cycle (15-30 minutes) and launder as usual.
– Clean HE laundry machines by adding 2 cups of HP to the laundry drum and running a hot water rinse cycle. Use the Essential Oxygen HP spray bottle to spray and wipe clean a mildew laden rubber gasket, washing machine door, and the detergent dispensing tray.
3. Wound Care – For many of you, your medicine cabinet just isn’t complete without an old fashioned bottle of HP. Unlike the typical brown bottle of HP found at your local drug store (up to 35%), Essential Oxygen HP is at a safe food grade level of 3% and is made without toxic stabilizers. In wound care, HP is used to flush dirt and debris from minor cuts and scrapes. If water just won’t cut it for you, at least when you are using Essential Oxygen HP you can enjoy peace of mind knowing you are using some of the cleanest, least caustic HP available on the market.
4. Naturally Lighten Hair – Use Essential Oxygen’s HP spray to subtly lighten your hair. At its 3% formulation, no worries of hair being left dry or brittle. You’ll save time and money, and spare yourself and the environment from the harsh ingredients found in conventional chemical services. Watch this short video on how one woman saved $1000 over the course of 6 months by using Essential Oxygen HP spray to lighten her hair.
5. Canine Care – Aside from using Essential Oxygen HP to disinfect your dog’s space and toys, HP can also be used to brush their teeth and neutralize skunk odour. For oral care, spray 4 pumps into your dog’s mouth and brush as usual. Have a finicky pooch? Essential Oxygen founder, Mystica, advises to spray along their gum line and leave the HP to do its magic.
If your dog has the misfortune of being “skunked,” use HP to neutralize the odour. Essential Oxygen suggests simply working one bottle of HP through your dog’s coat before rinsing and shampooing. Other bloggers that have ‘been there, done that’ are fans of mixing 4 cups HP with 1/4 cup baking soda and a squirt of dish soap. Be careful to avoid eyes, ears, and nose. Apply the mixture to a dry coat. Allow to sit for several minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual. Consult your veterinarian professional to be sure these regimes are right for your furry friend.
6. Cold & Flu Season – Although we are still having fun in the sun, the inevitable is just around the corner. For those of you that love Faerhaven’s Four Thieves line of products, these non-toxic disinfecting tips from David Suzuki’s Queen of Green will rock your world. All you need is vinegar and Essential Oxygen HP.
7. Humidifiers – While we’re on the topic of cold & flu, did you know that using HP in your humidifier is a thing? If you get hit with a cold, flu, or sinus infection, using HP may just bring the relief you seek. There are several ways to use HP in this scenario. Adapted from the recommendations of Essential Oxygen, if you have an essential oil cool mist diffuser, fill it with equal parts of HP and distilled water, and add 5 drops of Faerhaven’s Four Thieves Oil blend. If you happen to have Essential Oxygen’s Brushing Rinse (BR), skip the water and use the BR to fill your cool mist diffuser, as it already contains the appropriate essential oils and is at a lower dilution of 1%. If using an actual room humidifier, Essential Oxygen suggests dispensing 1 x 16oz bottle of their 3% HP into the humidifier and topping it with distilled water. It is advised to speak with your health care practitioner before attempting home HP therapy.
Regardless of whether or not you’re down with diffusing HP, definitely use it to keep your humidifier clean. Even the United States EPA recommends using 3% HP to disinfect humidifiers and to do so every three days. Clean your humidifier by unplugging your unit, scrubbing any mineral scale that has built-up (using distilled water instead of tap for diffusion should reduce deposits), and use HP to wipe down all surfaces that have come into contact with water.
8. Oral Hygiene – The Essential Oxygen line was born out of the founder’s need to improve her oral hygiene. Check out Mystica’s story here.
Essential Oxygen’s Brushing Rinse is a fabulous way to multitask, since you use it as both a mouthwash and toothpaste alternative. The results are clean, noticeably whiter teeth, fresher breath, and reduced tooth and gum sensitivity. Brushing Rinse is certified organic, food grade, and considered safe at 1% HP strength. It’s simple to use, too! Simply shake the bottle, squirt 1/3 oz in your mouth, swish for 30 seconds, tilt your head back and brush for about a minute, spit and rinse. A 16oz bottle of Brushing Rinse will last you one month. If it’s good enough for judges Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli of Dancing with the Stars, then it’s good enough for you, my friends! ShopEco Owner, Debra, is also a big fan. Brushing Rinse is safe for children.
Further to the oral hygiene topic, if you have a loved one in the hospital, this PubMed abstract is something to keep in mind. Researchers found the use of HP mouthwash to be statistically significant in preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia in patients admitted into the ICU. Therefore, it was deemed acceptable to use HP mouthwash in routine nursing care.
I can’t imagine you need much more convincing at this point, and I’m calling it here and now: Essential Oxygen’s hydrogen peroxide line is pretty much the next coconut oil in terms of versatility and performance. These 8 tips are the tip of the HP iceberg. There are dozens of ways to use HP beyond what I have room to list in this article. The next time you visit us at ShopEco, be sure to snag yourself a bottle of Essential Oxygen Brushing Rinse and Hydrogen Peroxide so you can begin to discover the many ways your daily life can be simplify by using these outstanding products.
Melissa Menard is a certified aesthetician and published writer. She views the greening of cosmetics and skincare products as part of the ongoing evolution of the beauty industry. Melissa also believes that safe and sustainable health and beauty products should be accessible to all consumers. Melissa resides in Windsor, Ontario with her husband, daughter, and 2 fur babies.