by Melissa Menard
Our ’20 Facts About Me’ article by ShopEco Owner, Debra, was so well received, we decided to make a series out of it. Please enjoy these fascinating facts about ShopEco Team Member, Melissa. If you enjoy these articles, why not help us get to know you by sending us 20 facts about YOU? Include a photo with your e-mail and you may be featured in an upcoming blog post.
1. My top two roles are wife to my wonderful husband, Josh, and mom to my darling daughter, Lila.
2. We have two dogs: Mya and Huxley. They provide endless laughs and boundless love. They’re pretty much the best.
3. My favourite weekend escape is to Point Pelee with Josh and Lila. I’m proud of our refined canoe paddling rhythm that keeps us (mostly) out of the tall water grasses – LOL!
4. My musical taste stretches across many genres. The last three albums I played in my car: Jazz by Putumayo (my favourite theme music on rainy days), Pure Heroine by Lorde, and the self-titled album by A Tribe Called Red (great for getting pumped up).
5. My husband is an amazing cook; I’m very lucky! He’s the type of cook that can just create something out of nothing.
6. I am a fully certified aesthetician and have been practicing my trade for over a decade now. It’s a joyful and rewarding skill in an industry that is constantly evolving. I’m passionate about good, healthy ingredients, which is why I’m at ShopEco.
7. My husband and I were married in Niagara Falls. It was terribly romantic and most lovely. Blue skies and magnolia trees in bloom – perfect!
8. Books are one of my favourite escapes. Jane Austen, Lucy Maud Montgomery, the Bronte sisters, and Carolyn Keene (the group that wrote the Nancy Drew series) have all written some of my absolute favourites.
9. I’m a big Mr. Bean fan. Luckily my family shares the love of Bean. Every Christmas and NYE we watch the corresponding Mr. Bean episodes. Forget Elf on the Shelf! We have a Bean on the Bough. No joke.
10. If I were stuck on a deserted island, I would require avocados, lemons, Thai chillies, lip balm, and hand lotion to sustain me until my SOS made of rocks and sea shells alerted an overhead cargo plane as to my whereabouts.
11. Flowers and plants bring me great happiness. I love to walk in the beautiful gardens our city maintains. Gardening is a great pleasure, although you wouldn’t likely be able to tell. With two dogs, very little vegetation survives an entire growing season. Sigh… one day I’ll have a proper English garden.
12. Our family sponsors a young girl from an African nation. Receiving a letter from her is always an exciting day.
13. I’m just coming to understand Frida Kahlo as an artist and a person. She is very intriguing to me. I’m not an expert in art by any stretch but I do enjoy it.
14. Superheroes are big in my household. My current favourite male and female heroes respectively are Captain America and Black Widow.
15. Secret talent: Singing. I sing in the contralto range and did so on stage many years ago.
16. Guilty pleasure: GOOP. I just can’t get enough of Gwyneth Paltrow and her branding.
17. I’ve been published three times. I’ve been writing as a side gig for 8 years now.
18. I’ve never traveled by airplane before. No major fear holding me back, it’s just never come up.
19. I’m very mood influenced when it comes to the colour and scent I’m drawn to on a particular day. I don’t have a favourite, I have favourites, which drives my daughter crazy.
20. I bear a striking resemblance to Barbara Streisand. Look up Barbara in her youth and you’ll see why I think we are long-lost relations.
Melissa Menard is a certified aesthetician and published writer. She views the greening of cosmetics and skincare products as part of the ongoing evolution of the beauty industry. Melissa also believes that safe and sustainable health and beauty products should be accessible to all consumers. Melissa resides in Windsor, Ontario with her husband, daughter, and 2 fur babies.