by Melanie Totten
We’re back the fifth installment in the ShopEco ’20 Facts About Me’ series. In case you missed them, find Debra’s facts here, Melissa’s facts here, Victoria’s facts here, and Tiffany’s facts here. If you enjoy these articles, why not help us get to know you by sending us 20 facts about YOU? Include a photo with your e-mail and you might find yourself featured in an upcoming blog post.
20 Facts About Melanie
1. I was named after singer/songwriter, Melanie Safka. I love my name and I don’t like to be called “Mel”.
2. I am a true night owl. If I listened to my body, I would sleep from 6am – 2pm.
3. I live with three rescue cats: Zooey, Midnight, and Zelda. They are my reason(s) to get out of bed in the morning (err, afternoon).
4. I have aspirations to practice Homeopathic Medicine.
5. My fiance, Matt, and I are to be married this September. We’ve been together for more than 10 years and the first half of our relationship was long-distance with him living in North Carolina.
6. I have a very good eye for spelling and grammar. Sometimes it gets on my nerves because I can’t help but see the errors (they’re seriously everywhere!).
7. I have hypotension.
8. I’m a founding member of VegFest Windsor, a registered non-profit organization.
9. I had open-heart surgery in 2014 to correct a congenital heart defect. (Bonus fact: Because I had to take an extended amount of time off work, Victoria and Tiffany joined the ShopEco team).
10. I have a thing for zombie films and TV shows. So much so that my recent engagement photo shoot included a post-apocalyptic zombie-themed portion.
11. I have modelled for a couple of album covers for a local musician (also, one of my best friends).
12. My fiance is American and works at the two highest-rated vegan restaurants in the Metro Detroit area.
13. I grew up camping a lot with my family. I spent a great deal of time in canoes and kayaks and still really enjoy lots of time in nature.
14. My favourite book is actually a trilogy: Neanderthal Parallax by Robert J. Sawyer.
15. My Dad introduced me to live music at a very young age. My first “grown-up” concert was Barenaked Ladies. I frequently attend live performances and have been to hundreds of concerts.
16. I’ve never had my full driver’s license and before a month ago I hadn’t driven in over 10 years. My fiance and I just bought a Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid and I plan to get my full license in the next 2 years.
17. I am the youngest of four children and I have three older brothers. My parents always tell me that they planned to keep having children until they had a girl.
18. I don’t like surprises.
19. I shop almost exclusively second-hand. My Mom and maternal grandmother started me young with yard-saleing every weekend during the spring and summer.
20. People (mostly the ShopEco team) often call me the original ShopEco employee because I was Debra’s first hire back in 2012.
Melanie Totten is an animal rights advocate and overall eco-living enthusiast. She is a true foodie and lives a plant-based lifestyle with enthusiasm and compassion. Melanie spends her free time experimenting in the kitchen, analyzing films and literature with her life partner, and cuddling with her three cats. She strives to never stop learning and lives as simply and naturally as possible.