by Debra Purdy
One of the biggest pleasures of owning and working in an independent business is the opportunity to forge personal connections. It’s not something that tends to happen at the mall or a big box store, and I love getting to know each of you and learning about your lives.
On that note, I thought I’d share a few things about me that you might not know yet. If you enjoy this article, why not help us and the rest of the ShopEco community get to know YOU better? Send us a photo and 20 facts about you, and we may feature you in an upcoming blog post!
1. I grew up in Harrow, ON. Even though I’ve now lived in cities for more years than I did in Harrow, I still think of myself as a “county girl”.
2. My mom, Joy, is the creator of our bestselling soap and skincare line, Faerhaven.
3. I used to babysit ShopEco Team Member, Melanie, when she was a baby.
4. I have a B.A. in French Language and Literature, and spent two years as an exchange student in Nice, France.
5. Before owning ShopEco, I worked in the insurance industry for ten years.
6. When I was 29, I quit my job and moved to Berlin, Germany for a year, where I ended up working as a freelance English teacher, teaching everyone from toddlers to dentists.
7. I’m allergic to Bluetooth – it gives me heart palpitations. So weird!
8. I have a cat with anxiety issues named Charlie.
9. My younger brother, Mike, is something of a renaissance man. He’s mastered lots of amazing skills, including motocross, kayaking, mountain climbing, archery, scuba diving, and beer making.
10. I have a very bad memory. If I’m typing on my phone when you see me, I’m not texting – I’m putting something in my to do list so I don’t forget it five minutes later.
11. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and have been following a Paleo diet to help manage my symptoms.
12. I make all my food from scratch, right down to the condiments. I still haven’t managed to master mayonnaise. I make a mean barbecue sauce, though.
13. I have a thing for zombie movies. I don’t know why.
14. My husband and I met at a ping pong tournament. He came in first, I came in last.
15. I’ve loved to read since I was three years old. I remember my mom yelling at me to go outside and play when I was a kid – I would hide in the backyard with a book.
16. I’m an extreme introvert. I’m not ashamed of it and feel that introverts have a lot to offer the world.
17. My latest obsession is Bulletproof coffee. It helps me focus.
18. My favourite colour is green. How appropriate!
19. I’m the third owner of ShopEco. I bought the rights to the business after it closed in 2012 and restarted it from scratch.
20. I love my job so much that I have a hard time NOT working! If I didn’t force myself to stop sometimes, I would happily work all day, every day.
Debra Purdy has been the owner of ShopEco since 2012. She researches, samples, and travels in search of clean, effective green beauty products and beautiful, eco-conscious gifts.